3 Tbsp bread crumbs
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 12oz can regular evaporated milk
1/2 cup nonfat milk (I actually use plain, light soymilk and no one ever notices)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp flour
4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp taco seasoning (sounds weird, just do it)
a couple pinches of red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin pan. Sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of bread crumbs into the bottom of each muffin cup and swirl around to coat bottom and sides.
2. In a large pot boil water for macaroni, add mac.
3. While water is boiling, prepare the cheese sauce. In a medium bowl mix the evap milk and milk.
4. In a large saucepan on LOW heat, melt butter. Gradually mix flour with butter, one Tbsp at a time, stirring completely. Mixture will be very thick.
5. Add milk mixture gradually to pan, mixing well. It will get really thick but that’s what’s supposed to happen. As it gets thinner switch to a whisk. Raise heat to medium-low, continue stirring and don’t let burn.
6. When mixture starts to bubble slightly, add the cheese slowly.
7. When all cheese is mixed in, lower heat all the way, just to keep warm.
8. Add cooked pasta and stir.
9. This is when I throw in the salt, pepper, and other spices. Do a little at a time and taste it for more/less.
10. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the macaroni and cheese into each muffin cup. sprinkle about 1/4 tsp bread crumbs on top.
11. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, until tops are golden brown.
12. Let rest in pan about 10 minutes, scoop out and EAT!